2019: A Blueprint for 2020

Aaaah! It's rewind time! (Imagine listening to it in the voice of Will Smith!)
I don't know why but lately, I have been feeling this urge of writing about or summarising my 2019. I am not sure about the underlying cause for this longing but I am sure that this piece will certainly help in figuring out my goals for 2020 as I can use it as a blueprint for the coming year. Also, I am not alone in this, there are thousands of people, especially bloggers and YouTubers, who do this every year so that they can analyze their year through a prism of rational perspective. And it suits most of them. So, hopefully, it will work fine for me as well.
2019 was a great year for me. I mean, it was a kind of year where a lot changed, mostly in a positive way. A lot remained unchanged, nevertheless. However, 2019 helped me a lot in evolving as a person. Before 2019, I was naive, reckless and above all, was still in the pursuit of identity. I wasn't sure about who I was and what I wanted. Yes, I wanted to secure a good job and I was sure about my desire of passing the competitive examinations. But other than that, there was a lot of ambiguity and uncertainty. Luckily, in 2019, I had the luxury of free time and had the right mindset to work on these areas and as I am writing this around New Years' Eve, I can say that I made considerable progress in silencing my demons and finding the right and rational perspective. Not an identity, though. 
I would like to talk about 2019 in terms of three different phases. Each phase was of four months. In the first four months, I had a lot to deal with. Exams and stuff. So, most of the time was spent preparing and then appearing in the exam. The second phase was kind of far more relaxing as I had nothing to do; was just waiting for the results. As I was free as a bird, I had a lot of time to think about my choices and reconsider my decisions. At first, it led me to overthinking and disappointment. However, once I was done away with the negativity and toxic thoughts, I started thinking rationally. And it really helped me in figuring out my true self and making the right choices. Then came the last phase of 2019. Results came. Passed one exam, failed the other. I was quite happy about passing one and at the very same time, there was a kind of sadness, which came as a result of failing the other. I wasn't sad, to be honest. It was just a natural post-failure reaction. However, it didn't take me long to regather myself and thank Almighty for what I had as I had even more than I deserved or imagined. And it was at that time I learned the true value of success and happiness. 
In 2019, I learned quite a few things. I learned the value of faith and patience. The events of 2019 helped me in wrapping my head around a lot of concepts. I was naive in many ways and I still am. No shame in admitting that. However, 2019 made it clear to me that 'Good things happen to those who wait! (And put the required effort)' 
Before 2019, I wasn't sure about this patience thing. I never thought of it as an ingredient for living a great life. But my friends, patience is surely the key to living a contented and happy life. Moreover, faith is the other characteristic element, which can help you a lot in achieving the unthinkable. I get it that in times of stress and disappointment, it becomes quite difficult to have faith. Especially, when the whole world starts making no sense at all and everything appears to be nothing but chaos. I get that. I also had a lot of moments in 2019 when I felt down and done. I didn't have the energy to even think, let alone have faith. However, these times of crisis proved to be the biggest stimulus for helping me in learning the true value of faith. 
Furthermore, in 2019, I got the chance to explore the other side of 'What is success in the truest essence of the term?' Throughout my 24 years of existence, I have experienced success in many ways. Be it the academic side or personal life, I believe that I have enjoyed my fair share of success and happiness. And it was only one and a half years ago when I really had my first real experience of failure. Although I experienced failure in many ways during my university years, yet it didn't feel like a failure as I wasn't trying at all. For me, when you don't try, success or failure, it doesn't matter. You only experience the true essence of success or failure, when you try, when you put in the required work. Alas! It took me years to realize that. But finally, in 2019, I learned my lesson. 
One thing that made 2019 even more memorable year for me was the pursuit of a perspective. I wrote a separate piece on this subject and to be honest with you all, it made a lot of difference in terms of the way I think about life and perceive things.  


Now, coming to 2020. I am not so sure about my goals but if I have to make a list, two things will certainly be on that list. Firstly, 2020 is going to be the year of doing more and thinking less. For quite a long time, I have been sitting on a lot of ideas and have not conceptualized most of them because of procrastination and overthinking. But as 2020 is around the corner, I have made a commitment to take actions in proportion to the intent this year. Secondly, I think it is time to capitalize on what I have learned in the last couple of years. Being positive, having faith in the Almighty, and exhibiting patience, I am feeling quite confident that 2020 is going to be 'The Year'.
I still have a lot to share but to keep things short and precise, I would like to conclude with the most important lesson of 2019; DREAM BIG. The other day, I was reading Phil Knight's memoir, Shoe Dog, and if I have to summarise the whole book in a few lines then that would go like this, 
Don't discard your crazy ideas, believe in them and nourish them. Don't feel shy about your ideas, be confident about them. Don't hesitate, take risks. Don't settle, keep moving. Have faith and don't lose hope. And above all, hard work, persistence, and true commitment provide the best pathway for success. 
These lines perfectly summarise what I experienced and learned in 2019. Now, I am entering 2020 with this mindset and hoping for 2020 to be the greatest year of my life. (till now) 
To conclude, 2019 was arguably the best year of my 24 years of existence and it really provided me with the blueprint for the coming years. It taught me a lot of things but I can't say that I am going to do all these things in the coming years. However, I am sure that I will try


Comments

  1. I saw your efforts and Allah will make you succeed. Inshallah!
    And your writing skills is Damm �� incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insha'Allah! Hard work never goes in vain. Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Indo-Pak Tussle and the Ideological Reconstruction

HE & HER!