2018: The Journey to Positivity

2019 is almost here so, I thought that It would be a great idea to list few things that I have learned in 2018. Before coming to what I have learned and how excited I am to dive into 2019, I want to admit that this blog is inspired by the latest video of Logan Paul in which he has talked about his controversial video and how he has coped with the fallout and the hatred that was thrown into his face. I am not a fan or should I say not a member of ‘LOGANG’ but that video really moved me to write this blog.  
2018 was the most significant year for me, not because I had to find a job or a career but because I had to reinvent myself and had a lot on my hands in terms of giving a new dimension to my life. As I am writing this, I am feeling no shame in admitting that I couldn’t reach most of the goals that I set at the start of 2018.But at the same time, I am very proud of the fact that, after consistent struggle and help from my peers, I have finally achieved a balance between my ‘bigger-than-life’ dreams and the objective realities of this world. 
In the beginning of 2018, I was quite pumped to give a new meaning to my life as I thought that a fresh start would do well in terms of achieving personal and professional excellence. Well, why I wanted a fresh start? As most of you already know, I am a graduate of UET, Lahore, did my Bachelors in Electrical Engineering in 2017. And once I completed my engineering, I knew that I was not meant for that. To be honest, I knew it very long time ago but I didn’t have an alternative so I thought of giving engineering another try. In the end, things didn’t work out well so, I had no option but to look for alternatives.  
I tried different alternatives but success kept eluding me and it didn’t take me long to reach my ‘Breaking Point.’ I was disappointed, had no motivation at all, and thought of giving up. But I did not.  
I am not sure what kept me going, some divine help coupled with the underlying resilient nature of my character may be, but I did not stop. Finally my rationale took over and things started making sense. Although I could not find ‘the path’ yet I was happy to look for one. Even today, I still don’t have a concrete plan (still unemployed as well) but I am happy and willing to work for my goals or should I say dreams. So, what actually transformed me? I do not doubt myself anymore.  


The biggest hurdle that I had to face, while trying different paths, was doubt, doubts that grew because of my failures and led me to fear, fear of losing again. And every time I lost, I questioned my choices. This cycle kept repeating and I was almost done but then I experienced the power of positive attitude. At first, I couldn’t perceive it but slowly and steadily I mastered it. I removed all the negativity, whether stemming from people or different things, that entangled myself in self-induced doubts. Alex Honnold, the man who climbed 2307 meters high El Capitan without a rope or anything, taught me that the only way to master your doubts or the eventual fears is to be positive and sure about your choices. Yes, positive attitude is not sufficient, you also need to test yourself; consistent hard work and complete focus are the key ingredients for fulfilling your dreams. And because of the positive attitude that I am experiencing right now, while writing it, I am quite hopeful that 2019 will be ‘the year’.  

P.S: Other things that also worth a mention include the ability to control yourself and slow down. Sometimes, it is okay to say no to your over-ambitious goals and as Logan mentioned, we all need to listen more to our family, friends and other people because we can’t be right about everything. So, self-control and respect for others’ opinion are also important in terms of avoiding failures and achieving unimaginable heights.   
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019: A Blueprint for 2020

Indo-Pak Tussle and the Ideological Reconstruction

HE & HER!